Learning Community der TUHH

#OEWeek | Session on 6 March 2019

This week is Open Education Week and therefore we want to focus on the topic Telling stories with Twine & H5P.

Several colleagues at TUHH have already worked with Twine and H5P and had positive experiences. Now we want to find out,

• How can we tell “learning stories” with Twine?
  • How could adaptive learning with Twine stories work?
  • How can H5P elements be embeded in Twine?
  • How can H5P elements be meaningfully integrated into the narrated story, e.g. to overcome challenges or to recapitulate what has been learned in a playful way?
  • How can the technical contexts of H5P and Twine interact?

Open Session

As always, the session is open to all interested parties. Of course you can also work on your own projects.

Internet in the session

We can also offer all our guests free WiFi access.

Admin rights for your computer

It is good if you have admin rights on the computer you brought with you, i.e. if you are allowed to install software and drivers. If the device was provided by your employer, please ask if you can get admin rights. If this is not possible, talk to us, if necessary we can provide a device for experimenting in the Hack[a|er]space.

Participation

If you would like to join this week, sign up with a short answer below. You may have to create a new account in this forum first.

It would be important that you also write during the registration,

• What are you interested in?
  • What would you like to show others?
  • Where do you need help?
  • What do you expect from Hack[a]space?

We ask for this because we want to support you during your visit to Hack[a|er]space and connect you to other interested parties. If you have any questions, please write to us.

Where?

Time, place and space of the Hack[a|er]space can be found specified here.

Further information

You will also find this event announced on the Open Education Week 2019 website.

Looking forward to meeting you! I’m wondering:

• What could a story be that we would tell with Twine?
  • An adventure about science?
  • A dream about equality in education? What images could we use?

Any ideas?

Looking forward to today’s session! My main interest is how Twine and H5P can be used to communicate our work as academics, for example by means of stories. Following the ongoing conversations around citizen science, they might offer undiscovered potentials not only for us to share our work (products as well as processes) but also for society to relate to it.

looking forward to the session

Some Kind of Report

After the session I would like to reflect a little bit on what was on the table and what were the results.

First, quite a lot of folks from HOOU projects showed up and had a good discussion on the potential of the tools and their experiences in every day teaching. Let’s take the questions from above to structure thoughts and words from our meeting.

1. How can we tell “learning stories” with Twine?

It was mentioned that a tool like Twine could be used to stitch OER together. Besides that H5P has widgets like Course Presentation that can be used to tell some kind of linear story and stay completely in the H5P context.

2. How could adaptive learning with Twine stories work?

The new Branching Scenario also has the function to create paths and thus can be used for adaptive learning. No one had tried it yet, so we couldn’t compare it to our ideas with Twine.

3. How can H5P elements be embeded in Twine?

Easily as they come with an iframe.

4. How can H5P elements be meaningfully integrated into the narrated story, e.g. to overcome challenges or to recapitulate what has been learned in a playful way?

We did not discuss this further. My personal impression is that we would have to create an example to go further with this point.

5. How can the technical contexts of H5P and Twine interact?

This was for everybody a crucial question - but we did not go into details here. The examination of the JavaScript/HTML contexts is up to me/us. I believe this will be difficult as we cannot get some state out of an iframe to use it in the parent site. We will see what kind of workaround could help.

My personal view on Twine after this session is: It is not easy to speak out for it when an implementation stays on the level of “a website”. That means that there are other tools out there like static site generators (Hugo, Jekyll, GitBook etc.) that also make “linked webpages”.

But my point talking about Twine is this one: Even if it is simpler to build OER stuff with H5P as users stay in a click & drag context Twine is closer to “how the internet works”. Very quickly one has to deal with JavaScript and CSS when he/she wants to implement some kind of game logic. And with Twine this is much easier than with raw web languages and an editor.

So, if your aim as an author is to build playful OER that do not depend on server technology (PHP, Python etc.) you can go with Twine. It can even be used right away in the browser with no account necessary.

The challenge is clear: Let’s build something with Twine & H5P and continue with the discussion.

Thanks to everybody who joined the session!

The folks from OE Week sent me a mail for evaluation of the week. Please find text quoted below and take part yourselves if you like:

Thank you for contributing to the success of Open Education Week (OEW) 2019 We were impressed by the high quality and diversity of presentations, events and resources from around the world. This year, participants from over 143 countries took part in OEW.
We would also like your feedback to improve Open Education Week. We will use the feedback collected on this 2-minute survey to help plan for 2020!
Also provided is a detailed infographic hat summarizes OEW 2019. Please feel free to promote and share. And, don’t forget to mark your calendars for next year’s Open Education Week, 2 - 6 March 2020.
Thanks again for making another great Open Education Week!